Monday, August 4, 2014

Patience and frustrations

Frustrations stem from seeing Mr N bullied by other children, it absolutely kills me. I don't understand what prompts a child to pick on and single out another child to bully, but it is at the top of my list of things that piss me off. Sadly, Mr N doesn't do anything about it unless he is seriously injured by the bully, typically Mr N just keeps being his sweet self, trying to play with the bully. It takes an injury resulting in blood or bruising before he gets upset or frustrated by a bully, only then does he make it known to me. Obviously, knowing this is an issue, we keep a very watchful eye when he's playing with other children to help redirect him to play with other children and to tell the bully "no, stop that".

The pain and sadness that I feel, as a result of seeing other children bully my little boy, are beyond explanation. My heart aches for my baby, I weep for him. Mr N is sweet to his very core, he forgives eagerly and freely, he asks to play with children even if they were mean to him only minutes prior. I can't fathom as a parent watching my child bully another child without intervening. We don't allow E to pick on or bully her little brother, we don't allow either child to bully other children, it's simply not acceptable. Am I the only parent that cries when her child cries? Am I the only parent who feels sad and guilty when I see my child be rude to others? Having to limit my child's playmates due to their behavior is frustrating, especially when he asks to play with them. But I simply cannot allow him to be treated in such a cruel manner.

I'm sad, I'm angry, I'm hurt, I'm frustrated. I hate seeing my baby hurting. Thankfully, not all children are bullies and I'd be remiss if I neglected to mention that Mr N has some amazing friends who play with him kindly, gently, and fairly; lovely children who ask and want to play with Mr N, eager to share and include him in their games. It's good friends like these who keep me from losing my mind and losing all hope.

Getting all of that off of my chest feels better.....now onto patience.

My patience has grown tremendously over the last few years, I've come to realize that while some behaviors that Mr N displays are irritating and frustrating, many times he has no control over what overwhelms him and when he gets overstimulated. I am much more patient and more inclined to give him a hug, remove him from a situation and just help him relax. If he's had a rough day or been in a challenging situation, it's becoming easier to just chill and respond to his needs with patience, love and understanding rather than getting upset or short with him.

Little miss is eager to use the computer so off I go to cuddle my amazing little boy with a heart so full of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment