Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Please

Yesterday we met Mr N's new therapist, but he fell asleep during therapy. They basically just did a little playing with him to reacquaint him with his old therapist and introduce him to his new therapist.

Today Mr N again tried to take a nap during therapy, but I tickled him and played with him to keep him awake. Then we kept him engaged the entire time they were here today. At one point his new therapist took a potty break and he went looking for her, he likes her already. I was pretty relieved to see him take to her so well. He played Ring-Around-the-Rosie with her and Sleeping Giant, he engaged in ball play, play doh time, puzzle work, water play, art and music time.

Mr N's vocabulary seems to have taken off in the last 2 weeks, even his old therapist noticed that he's talking more. I'm not sure if putting into practice the speech therapists suggestions have helped or if he's just picking up new words. During ball time they were prompting him to say "up" and to say "please" and a few times he even said "please" unprompted. I was thrilled, "please" is one of the words Daddy and I have been really working with him on, we feel that manners are extremely important "thank you and please" can go a long way. We haven't really worked with him much on "sir" and "ma'am" but we have taught E to use such manners. I was a bit surprised when I asked him something during therapy and he said "no ma'am". Okay so maybe shocked is a better description of my feelings.

Today they reintroduced the visual calendar and initiated Mr N removing the activity that they were transitioning into by pulling the item off the magnet board and putting it in a cup. At first he was quite reluctant, it hasn't been that long since the "incident" that initiated operation meltdown. Quite to my surprise he came around to it and by the 3rd or 4th activity he willing took the piece and put it in the cup. I breathed a sigh of relief.

I'm so proud of my little man! Day two of restarting therapy and he did great things, he really did amazing. I thought it would take longer to get him back on track. I'm hoping for great things the next two days as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment