Friday, May 31, 2013

Links and Sharing

It's been a while since I linked to any articles that I found inspiring or beneficial, so I thought I'd give that another go.

Yesterday I came across an article linked on another board I frequent that has nothing to do with autism or children but people post inspiring stories from time to time. This one touched me so deeply, the mother truly went against all advice given by "experts" and listened to her instincts. Her devotion and dedication to her son and his future is what being a parent is all about. Having a child with autism, I can certainly understand her hesitation to continue with therapy that seems counterproductive and even harmful. I have worried endlessly that my decision to stop processes that were in place would have a negative effect on Mr N or that it would make his future more challenging. Reading a success story is encouraging, inspiring and feels like a pat on the back and reassurance that we are making the best decisions for our son. In case you missed the link above, here it is again. http://abcnews.go.com/US/autistic-teen-working-astrophysics-phd/story?id=19283078#.UakhqpyJl8F

On a completely different subject, I saw this blog in my Facebook feed, which is beneficial information even if you don't have kids. There are how to instructions for carrying an adult, too. The blog was posted after the Tsunami in Japan, but after the recent tragic tornadoes in Oklahoma I figure it is good information to know. This picture touched me.


Here is a family who has been displaced by the Tsunami and earthquake, the destruction all around them a painful reminder of what has been lost. Yet the mom has her baby strapped on her back, is making dinner, doing what need to be done to provide her family sustenance. The look on the baby's face is not of fear or terror, she is watching and learning, unaware of devastation in her life. Baby girl is just watching intently, completely safe and protected by her parents. Amazing how quickly we adjust from "WTH just happened?" to mommy mode.

The blog shows how to do emergency baby wearing techniques for emergencies such as a tsunami, tornado, flooding, really any situation where you may be required to carry a child or another person. Most babywearers have multiple devices always at the ready with plenty to chose from in such an event, but for non-babywearers it might be a bit more challenging to figure out how to transport someone if they were injured while hiking.

No comments:

Post a Comment