Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Sensory

Mr N is in desperate need of a sensory evaluation to determine his sensory needs. I feel like it is taking forever, I'm not even sure what is taking so long. I'm going to throw caution into the wind and just call a OT to schedule an evaluation. Proper protocol is taking too long and we need answers. I called today but the office was already closed.

He has been very sensory seeking lately, about every 15 minutes during therapy he stops what he's doing to get some sensory input. Sometimes it's velcro, sometimes it's head compression, sometimes it's throwing or kicking, rolling around on the floor, etc. There has got to be a better way for him to get this input without disrupting therapy.

Therapy went pretty well today, aside from all the sensory seeking disruptions and E interfering. His therapist was using a puppet and saying "I'm gonna get your hand, foot, knee, etc" and Mr N would move that body part to avoid being licked by the dog puppet. That's when she realized just how many body parts he knows, he is such a smart little guy.

His therapist mentioned today that she's never heard Mr N say "milk" even though he frequently says it for us, I'd say about 80 percent of the time he'll say milk when he requests it. Sometimes he will say "bottle" though. Speaking of bottles....Daddy and Mommy have decided it's once again time to switch to a sippy cup. The plan is to let him pick out a couple of cups when we go to town and not take a bottle with us, then get rid of all of his bottles so even when he wants one, there are none for him to see and request. This is what we did when he was probably around 18 months and it lasted a few weeks then we gave in and gave him the bottle back. He does know how to use a sippy cup and will use one occasionally, we just need to force him out of the bottle.

Big news....I finished all of the curtains for the living room. I did not enjoy it, I hate pinterest for saying it was such a great idea, I'm holding a grudge against all companies that sell curtains that are not cute enough for my house, I'm cranky with myself for thinking it would be a good idea to make curtains for so many windows in our house, especially when a majority of them have to be lined since they are on the south side. But hey, I finished them. Now the entry way, the playroom, and the living room curtains are all done. I'm having all the other windows in the house removed permanently, it's the simplest solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment