Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Cuddlebug

Mr N is the cuddliest kid I've ever known. I love it. Does it get any better than having a cuddle bug crawl into bed with you in the morning? Nope!

Mr N is pretty much obsessed with counting lately, little by little he is learning his numbers. So far he says "two", "seven", and "eight". But he will point to objects and count "two, two, two, two, twooooo". He recently discovered the Ants Counting app on his iPad. It certainly is increasing his ability to recognize numbers.

Today during therapy Mr N grabbed the toy phone and handed it to me, so I talked for a few minutes to "Grandma" then said "it's for you". Mr N immediately grabbed it and said "hello? what you doing?". Pure awesomeness. We will have to call Grandma later so he can talk to her for real.

We ran to the hardware store yesterday for brackets to hang the guest bathroom mirror and noticed they still had a few Melissa & Doug toys on sale, they had one puzzle that we don't have yet, so we picked it up for use during therapy. Ok, I confess I love Melissa & Doug stuff, it's so durable, so well made, so stinking cute and it was $5. Mr N quickly mastered the puzzle today and moved on to other puzzles, played basketball with balls and a tote, then a repeat of basketball with the toy food and a tote. I'm pretty sure his super power is throwing; I'll be honest, I haven't been around a lot of 2.5 year olds, but his athletic abilities are impressive to me, as well as his hand and eye coordination. Basketball, baseball and kicking seem to be his favorites; he will use a plastic bowling pin as a bat and the bowling ball to play baseball.

I was doing some reading recently on an autism board and someone posed the question, have you or your spouse been evaluated for autism since receiving your child's diagnosis. A surprising number of people had either been officially diagnosed with a spectrum disorder or had done some online questionnaires and feel they fit on the spectrum. My initial thoughts were that they were trying to determine if it was genetic, or place the blame on one parent. I say place the blame, because it seems there is some blaming when a child is diagnosed, like it somehow makes one parent feel better if it's not their "fault" that their child has autism. Personally, I don't think either of us is to "blame", it's just something that happened and there is nothing we can do to change it now, so why focus on the how? I think for prevention issues, it'd be great if research was done to determine if outside elements were contributing to autism.

I discussed the topic with Daddy to see what he thought of it all, his perspective is so insightful, so positive, so perfectly what I need. He said "I would be happy to find out that I have autism, it would reassure me that Mr N could live a very productive, successful and happy life". What an amazing way to look at it. I hadn't thought of it that way at all, but he is absolutely correct. It would most certainly relieve some of the stress and worry to find out that one of us is on the spectrum.

Our guests from out of state arrived last night and were so kind to bring me flowers. Here is a picture, so you can enjoy them as much as me (just imagine them smelling absolutely divine).


No comments:

Post a Comment