Monday, December 10, 2012

Blood Draws

This morning I took Mr N in for a blood draw, we need his thyroid and iron levels retested. He has an endocronologist appointment on Friday and I'm sure they'd like to view the results before we get there. We no longer will be receiving in-home therapy since Mr N is three now and should begin transitioning into preschool. Thankfully Katy told me last night, since they didn't mention it to us at the IEP.

We dropped sissy off at work with Daddy while Mr N and I headed to get his blood draw done. Mr N realized what was going on as soon as we pulled out of the parking lot, he cried most of the way to the doctor's office. I got him to stop crying right before we arrived at the doctor's office, we went inside then as his fear and anxiety grew the crying began again. We got checked in then sat in the waiting room creating a scene for about 5 minutes before we were called back for the dreaded affair.

One of the nurses from the front desk assisted in holding Mr N down with me while the lab technician drew the blood. Mr N was very upset, he was much more visibly upset than at his last blood draw and he fought a lot harder. Since this was his second blood draw, he knew what was happening and was already completely worked up before they stuck him with the needle.

I think Mr N blamed me directly for the entire dreaded event, as soon as we got outside he asked for Daddy. I asked him if he wanted to go to work with Daddy for a while and he said yes. He wouldn't let me put him in his carseat until I told him I'd take him to Daddy, then he started calming down. I dropped him off with Daddy and picked up E so we could run to the store for a few things.

While at the store we picked up some Reese's Peanut Buttercups as they are the cure all for blood draws. Then we picked Mr N back up from Daddy, he seemed happy to see me, but was still favoring his poked arm. He napped on the way home after indulging in some peanut butter chocolatey goodness. He was in a much better mood when he woke up at home, he's still favoring his arm but has clearly forgiven me.

No comments:

Post a Comment