Thursday, December 6, 2012

Zippers

Among the countless goals that Mr N has, is zippers, buttons, and snaps. Tuesday during therapy he was shown how to unzip the monster truck case. Here is a pic so you have a better idea on the size of the zipper.


It's a pretty small zipper with a pretty small clasp, but by yesterday he had it mastered. He unzipped the entire thing by himself without assistance. Pretty exciting stuff going on up in here.

I'm still quite anxious for him to learn to count, say his ABCs, identify his colors and shapes. Am I expecting too much? I've mentioned it a few times along the way in this whole journey. The most recent time I mentioned it to Mr N's coordinator, she said "he's smart, it'll come, he just needs to learn to sit at a table first". Uh, huh? How does that teach him? E knows all of that and I've never had her sit at a table for long periods of time. She does sit and do her school work, but typically in 15-20 minute increments. Mr N will work at the table with play doh, puzzles, painting, trains, cars, etc for 15-20 minutes at a time. How does that not count?

I talked with Katy yesterday about what the coordinator is wanting Mr N to do, she said they want him to sit at the table for 45 minute sessions. I'm having a really hard time getting on the same page as the coordinator and the school, especially after reading books from professionals, after attending a conference presented by professionals. I do not think that all learning has to be done at a table. I worked in a kindergarten room assisting children with special needs, they certainly did not ever sit at a table for 45 minutes at a time.

Frustrated much? Ugh



No comments:

Post a Comment