Monday, October 8, 2012

Administering Discipline

Again apologies for the infrequent updates, I'm still not recovered.

I'll start with Saturday, we went to the valley for Daddy's company picnic. It's always interesting doing things with Mr N that we haven't done since his diagnosis. Knowing how better to handle things typically results in a more enjoyable experience for all.

There were bounce houses, face painting, and a balloon guy. Neither of the kids were interested in the face painting (he was painfully slow), but they both liked the balloon guy. Mr N chose a balloon to release and let it fly. E chose a butterfly on a flower balloon. E wouldn't play in any of the bounce houses when we first arrived, but later on she finally got brave and discovered their amazing fun factor. Mr N immediately climbed into the bounce houses and let the fun begin. He didn't seem to care that many of the kids we're much bigger than him and jostled him all around when they bounced.

Mr N's favorite bounce house was the one with the attached slide. He repeatedly climbed into the bounce house over to the tunnel to the slide entrance, then said "help" until I climbed in and helped him up the stairs to the top of the slide, then he insisted that I go down the slide with him. All the jostling wasn't so great for my vertigo, but my little man was happy as could be.

After the picnic had ceased being enjoyable (Mr N needed a nap, as did Mommy) we headed out to run a couple of errands. We searched high and low for a stuffed black cat for E to reward her for finishing another workbook. She had asked for a new black cat last week, but felt she needed to do something to earn it. We decided on completion of another workbook. The first workbook she completed took a couple of weeks, she did a page or two each day. After telling her the deal, she completed an entire workbook in one day, not only that workbook but she did several pages out of two other workbooks.

It appears our precious little E loves doing school work. We've been trying to do it during Mr N's therapy, but that isn't always conducive since he still needs redirection from Mommy. Today we got a few pages done while Mr N was in therapy, then did several more during his nap. She is quite the brilliant little girl, she makes Mommy and Daddy quite proud.

Back to the black cat, it was a failed task. We ordered one online yesterday that E picked out. She asks several times a day when it will arrive, it's going to be a long week.

Mr N loves riding toys down the hill outside, during therapy he headed down the hill that drops off abruptly at the edge of the concrete. He tumbled head over heels, he has a few scratches and had a swollen lip, but was back at it this evening after his nap.

After we came in from playing outside this evening E pulled a movie out of the DVD player that Mr N had put in. He sternly said "go (indecipherable) room, now" and pointed, guess I need to listen more carefully next time to see how clearly he says "to your". I got a good laugh out of it. My little man looks so typical, I love it. He's recently learned how to express frustration by crossing his arms across his chest and uttering "humph". It's freaking adorable. I love, love, love it. He looks like such a typical almost 3 year old. I never thought I'd feel so much joy over some toddler attitude, but it feels unbelievable great to see such typical behavior. I would much rather see him try to send E to her room than hit her or throw something.

I booked the conference to see Temple Grandin, I did it swiftly and quickly without looking back. I'm rather excited to learn from such an impressive individual. This, of course, means I have 4 days to get over my vertigo. I spent today desperately trying to make a doctor's appointment, to no avail.

No comments:

Post a Comment