Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Yesterday, today and tomorrow

Thursday and Friday of last week are a bit of a blur. I've had Vertigo since last Wednesday. Thursday and Friday bore the brunt of the spinning, by Saturday I was doing a little bit better and since we had company coming I decided to skip the medicine since I had cleaning to do and groceries to get. Saturday was my first day out of the house, we hit the grocery store and I held onto the cart for dear life.

Enough about me...I was so curious as to how Mr N would react to Grandpa and Grandma since it's been two years since we've seen them and Mr N had just begun regressing when we saw them last. Not only was I anxious to see how Mr N would act, but also E.

Much to my excitement both of the kids warmed right up and engaged with them. They thought Grandpa was the best thing ever, E decided he was a horse and she was a cowgirl, she even put a "saddle" on his lap so she could ride. 

We spent Saturday evening visiting, grilling, and catching up while the kids opened gifts and showed off for Grandpa and Grandma. Sunday we gave them a tour of Yosemite mostly by car, we took a short walk to Yosemite Village and the Ansel Adams Gallery, but I wasn't in any shape to do any more walking than that. 

Monday we headed to the Apple Ranch for breakfast, followed by feeding the animals and a train ride. I'm quite sure that our kids amply fed all of the chickens and goats for the rest of the week. Those are the only two kinds of animals they were very interested in feeding. Mr N still held a grudge against the chickens (they nibbled his hand last time) so he only fed the goats, E fed the chickens. 

After leaving the apple ranch we stopped for a bite to eat for the kids (they ate breakfast at home) and then headed to Historic Columbia for more fun. Once again, the old bowling alley was a huge hit, Mr N enjoyed putting the balls back in the return gulley more than he did rolling them down the lane. 

Tuesday morning arrived far too quickly as Grandma and Grandpa departed. Thankfully E wasn't super rude like she typically is when having to say goodbye, her goodbyes and hugs weren't forthcoming but she did allow them to hug her. 

We resumed therapy yesterday morning, as well. Typically the first day back after a weekend isn't super productive, but Mr N did pretty well yesterday. He is mastering color matching and we're working on identifying animals. We built a farm with the Fisher Price Trio blocks, by we I mean I. Mr N also played with the nesting blocks and dry erase board.

I wish I had more to tell about therapy yesterday, but I have to spend most of my time just sitting down so when they'd move to another room, I'd miss it. 

Today Mr N started off therapy with a bang and really did a great job. Then out of the blue he started being super fussy and so did E. I have no idea what triggered it, but I did take their temperatures because the sudden change in mood was concerning. We headed outside to get Mr N settled down, he only wanted to climb in the Jeep and that seemed to help. I took E inside to see if the frog was still in the laundry room, but sadly he was not. Who doesn't like cute little frogs?? It's not like the plague in Egypt when they were on everything, we get a frog every few weeks or so in the house. I don't mind, it's better than tarantulas or scorpions. 

When E and I got back outside Mr N was out of the Jeep, and Katy excitedly relayed that Mr N let her get him out. We spent some time outside, playing, exploring and wandering around (me tumbling around). Mr N did some puzzles when we returned inside and did an awesome job with color matching, I'm so proud of him. I was so excited that he resumed therapy and got some good work done after getting upset earlier in the morning. 

I've mentioned previously that Mr N will need to see a neurologist for an EEG, we have an appointment for October 16. This appointment will just be the consultation, from there they will order and schedule an EEG, after determining which one is needed. I am extremely anxious over this appointment and the prospect of an EEG. No test result could ever change how I feel about my son, no diagnosis will change who my precious baby boy is, I'm not really even nervous over the tests. I am absolutely stressed over the appointment itself, Mr N does NOT enjoy doctor visits, doesn't like strangers touching him or intruding in his space. I'm worried that when he gets the EEG that he'll go nuts with the electrodes attached to his noggin. Hopefully the consultation will help alleviate some of these worries and fears, they are after all a pediatrics neurology center and one of the best ones. 

I randomly googled Temple Grandin the other day to find some information on her and noticed on her website http://www.templegrandin.com/ that she has a conference in San Francisco on October 12 that would be an amazing opportunity to attend. Daddy and I have discussed this and agree that attendance should be a high priority.....but only one of us could really attend since neither of us would get anything out of it if we took the kids. I'm trying to come to grips with being the one that needs to attend. I don't like driving in San Francisco, at all. I think the conference itself is actually in Palo Alto, so I may be able to avoid San Fran, but still, I'm scared. I'm scared of a lot factors surrounding the conference. There is no doubt in my mind that I will cry, I do not like to cry, I really do not like to cry in front of people, I really, really do not like to cry in front of strangers. I do not like crowds. I do not like being away from my kiddos. I do not like getting up early (the conference starts at 7:00, I would need to leave by 4, I would need to get up by 3). I'm not looking for excuses not to go. I know I will go, I have to go, this is a once in a (uncertain of the time frame) opportunity and I think the benefit would be huge for us, for how we work with and interact with Mr N. 



No comments:

Post a Comment