Thursday, October 18, 2012

Another Appointment

Yesterday the lab results started rolling in, most of them came back normal. The only one that didn't come back normal is his blood count, Mr N's hemoglobin is 6.5 (normal is 11-14.5) so when they phoned with the result they advised us to follow up with his regular pediatrician. I promptly sent a note to his regular pediatrician, only to have one of her colleagues reply stating that she is out of the office this week and that Mr N needs to be seen before next week.

His appointment was this afternoon so we ended therapy early to head to town. We picked up Daddy from work to take with us to help out. We arrived at the doctor's office and Mr N calmly went inside, played in the waiting room for a while and then he was done. Daddy took him outside until his name was called, then we hurried back to the exam room. I had warned them that the appointment wouldn't go well, just so they'd be prepared.

Once we entered the exam room Mr N screamed and cried for a while until I finally got him settled down, then the nurse insisted that we take him out of the room to measure his height. We should have just politely refused, but we complied and that ended his cooperation for the appointment. After being measured for height and weight we settled in and waited for the doctor while Mr N screamed and fought to get out the door.

The doctor did an exam checking Mr N's nail beds, looking at his eyes, ears, mouth and nose. He also pushed on his tummy and looked at his legs. My job was to restrain Mr N. After dropping Daddy back off at work we headed to the store to get iron rich foods. Did you know that Raspberry filled Shredded Wheat has 90% of the daily recommended amount of iron? I'm really hoping  Mr N likes them, they have to taste better than Total.

I fully expected Mr N to be hospitalized for some sort of Iron infusion and possibly a feeding tube. Instead, the doctor advised us to increase his iron intake and reduce his milk intake. The reason Mr N is severely anemic is due to drinking too much milk which fills him up and then he doesn't eat. His diet needs an extreme change and since he won't drink anything but milk in his bottle I figure it's as good of time as any to toss the bottles.

The next few days will be extremely difficult, full of tears and tantrums but my little man must improve before he suffers from more severe health issues.

It has been an extremely emotional, stressful week with appointments and tests. Through it all Mr N has not held a grudge against me, and still gives me plenty of hugs and cuddles which I appreciate immensely. I could not do this alone, I'm so incredibly grateful once again for my rock, Daddy. He is strong when I am weak, he comforts and assures me that Mr N will be fine. I also have been receiving encouraging words of support from my dear friends, whom I adore. Thank you so much guys, you have no idea how much strength your words give me.


No comments:

Post a Comment