Monday, October 15, 2012

Moms

Katy was sick today, so we didn't have therapy. I started reading "Thinking in Pictures" by Temple Grandin. Just her writing style alone tells me so much about her. So forward, so direct, she does not mince words, she gets straight to the point.

While I was reading and thinking about Mr N, I also thought about all the other mothers out there with kids on the spectrum. I picture all these Mommy's fervently reading, researching, studying to find out how to help their precious children. It's in our nature to help our children, to without stop find solutions.

At the conference there was a lady sitting next to me, she has a 4 year old daughter with Autism. I was talking to her about various books and things I've read about autism, then she mentioned that she's read just about every book out there (including Jenny McCarthy's, she giggled) and even attended some courses at Stanford for PRT. I couldn't help but think what an amazing mother her little girl has, searching for answers, determined to do right by her daughter.

There were booths set up for various vendors, one was a college offering courses on ABA therapy. I grabbed a brochure and looked through it. On the way home I got to thinking, wondering why I hadn't previously considered taking courses? While I believe having someone other than his mother do therapy with him everyday is much more beneficial, it would be nice to feel like I am an expert on Autism, not just on my son. It'd also provide an option for a career path in the future.

Don't worry, I'm not gonna jump in and sign up for classes, I will continue to read and learn as much as I can from books, blogs, and online references. But taking courses is certainly something I'll consider when I'm done with all my books. I am determined to understand my son the best that I can, so that I can help him the best that I can.

Tomorrow is the Neurologist appointment. I am nervous, it is going to be a very long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment