Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Stress and frustration

Today the coordinator accompanied Katy for therapy and we got to talk a lot about Mr N's progress over the last several weeks. We talked about his speech improving, his aggression becoming less frequent, and his longer one on one times with Katy.

Mr N played outside with Katy for almost 2 hours while the coordinator and I went over stuff and talked about how we really need to get his speech and OT started. She mentioned that she received a copy of his evaluations this morning. Obviously, this is infuriating. I've been emailing the responsible party for months requesting this information and for his therapies to begin. She suggested I email again and copy her boss on the email. Genius. I sent off another email, possibly a little more demanding than the last ones, I received a copy of both reports within 10 minutes. Seriously? Do your job. I understand she's busy, I get that she has a huge caseload, I realize that Mr N is one of millions to her, but he is one in a million to me. His progress is my top priority and I am tired of being ignored.

The email she sent also said that she was under the impression that his speech and occupational therapy would be incorporated in his daily therapy. Liar. Don't lie to me. I'm pretty pissed off about all of this, it took months for her to even request the evaluations, after I jumped through hoops to get the process started on my end. She had said that services would begin as soon as the evaluations were complete. The evaluations were completed in July. JULY, this is now October. He should have been receiving services for many months now, there is no excuse for this crap. Now she is saying he will not be receiving any additional services unless they are incorporated in his daily therapy, but his therapist is not a speech pathologist, she is not an occupational therapist, she is a behavioral therapist, she is not qualified to provide these services. The only good piece of information she provided is that I can use the evaluations to receive therapy at the hospital in Sonora.

Angry, frustrated, exasperated only touch the beginning of how I am feeling about all of this. I feel like she has procrastinated and put off sending the information to avoid having to provide these services. She also said in her email that we could discuss it at Mr N's quarterly progress meeting at the end of October. That's great lady, just keep putting it off. The way I understand it, they will provide these services until he turns 3, then these services are provided through the school district. So essentially if she procrastinates enough, then he'll be 3 and no longer her problem. So if we discuss it the last week of October, which will essentially be pushed until the first week of November, that leaves 3 weeks until he turns 3 and she will make a lame attempt to get someone scheduled to come out for one week prior to him turning 3. I could be wrong about all of that, but I doubt it. My patience has worn thin with these people. My son doesn't have his whole life to catch up, early intervention is the key to success, please stop trying to sabotage him.

Mr N's neurologist appointment is next Tuesday, I've mentioned this a few times. I'm nervous, I'm stressed about it, I'm anxious as to how Mr N will handle it, how I will handle it, etc. I don't think I realized the neurologist is the one that does the blood tests as well as the EEG. I thought the neurologist just ordered the EEG. I'm pretty nervous about the blood panel that will be done. I don't really want to think about or dwell on the possibilities.

Today while Mr N was playing outside with Katy, he got the garbage can and took it to the curb. Yesterday was trash day so it was an empty garbage can, but I really got a kick out of it. He knows where it goes!

I was hoping to report more today, but the kids are anxious to get outside, so I must go.

ETA: The kids are quietly playing inside so I have a few more minutes to add to my post.

Mr N's eating has been less than stellar this week, he has nibbled a bit here and there but hasn't eaten well in several days. Today he refused breakfast, but did eat his morning snack (yogurt) and when I gave the kids lunch, Mr N just walked off, wouldn't even look at it, which seems to be pretty typical. I encouraged him several times to come sit down and eat with sissy, but no such luck. Finally, I tried to just give him a bite of his macaroni and cheese (which was delish, BTW, I used cheddar, typically  I add in monterey jack, too) but he refused. Finally I handed him his hotdog, expecting him to either not grab it or to throw it back at me, but he took it and wandered around eating it.

E has been doing great working on her school work every day. She loves doing her workbook pages and her favorite part is cutting and pasting. The first few cutting sessions didn't go so well, scissors are dangerous machines and should be handled with extreme caution; therefore, she had only used them one time prior to last week. At first, I would hold onto the scissors and paper to avoid any accidents. Once she showed that she can responsibly cut paper without losing any limbs, I allowed her to cut with my careful supervision. I really need to learn to relax and just let her learn to do it on her own, she really does a pretty decent job of cutting for a 4 year old. I guess she doesn't need to have it mastered in one day, by mastered I mean cutting as well as me.

At first, I was trying to do a couple of pages out of each of her workbooks, but she loves the feeling of accomplishments so she likes to work out of the same one until it is done. This week we've been focusing on Same and Different, she is flying through with no problem. I will get her a Kindergarten workbook next time and see how she does, but I will let her finish up the other workbooks she has first. She's about 15 pages into her numbers book and 17 pages into her Beginning Reading book. We've been doing the daily calendar so that she can learn her days of the week and months of the year. She hasn't quite remembered the days of the week, but she just looks at the day and can sound it out pretty quickly. I'm pretty proud of my little princess.

No comments:

Post a Comment