Sunday, May 20, 2012

Catching Up

I didn't post about therapy on Friday, and I really wanted to, so I'll just take a few minutes here to do it.

Daddy worked from home on Friday afternoon, I was intrigued to see how Mr N would do with Mr Awesome around. He did pretty well, he worked in the play room one on one with the therapist for a while, I got a chance to read to E. Curiosity was getting to Daddy, so he peeked in a few times, even came outside a couple times to see how Mr N was doing. Mr N stayed pretty focused and didn't let Daddy being here distract him.

I remembered Wednesday that Mr N's infant teacher had mentioned shutting off the ceiling fans and seeing if Mr N's behavior improved, so I tried that for Thursday & Friday, it seemed to help. I still tend to forget just how difficult day to day life is for my precious little. Things I just don't think about over stimulate him and make it hard for him to focus and stay on task.

After Daddy was done with work we attempted a hike but they must have moved a mosquito farm onto the hiking trail so we aborted our mission and ran back to the car, narrowly escaping certain death. We survived with only a few mosquito bites. We went for a short drive then just decided playing at home with the kids would be fun enough.

Saturday we set out on our longest hike yet. The kids walked two of the five miles themselves, we packed them the rest of the way. We got to see some pretty flowers, trees, and amazing waterfalls. Mr N loves the outdoors, he points to the river any time he sees it while we are hiking, he can spend hours throwing rocks in the water with his sister. Carrying a stick, as long as it is bigger than sissy's, completes his hiking experience. We spent about four hours hiking in and out, and were quite exhausted by the time we returned to our vehicle. We were hungry, thirsty, sweaty, and hot. My over packing skills were much appreciated as everyone got fresh drinks and snacks. After dinner we went to Lowe's and got a griller/smoker that will hold up to 50 lbs of meat, who doesn't cook 50 lbs at a time? I'm sure 50 lbs is an exaggeration, but it was an excessive amount of meat. Since I'm not much of a carnivore, I'm looking forward to grilling a veggie burger when I get around to setting it up.

Today Mr N had a meltdown before meeting which set the tone for the day. He did pretty well the first 20 minutes, then we had to head out to the car. He wanted buckled in, like usual. We attempted to go back in several times to no avail. It was a bit warm out today so the multiple trips lugging kids in and out was exhausting. Mr N had another meltdown before we left, we'd gone back inside and I was packing up our stuff and chatting with friends and he started to tantrum. We not so gracefully clambered out to our car only to realize that Mr N had locked the doors before we went in for the last time.

After lunch, the kids played outside, mostly in the pool and with the sprinkler while I watered the garden and mowed. While we were chilling for a while outside Mr N said "deer" and pointed off the deck, it was bright and hard to see and it took me a few minutes to find it, but sure enough there was a deer. I was so excited, he said something and it was understandable enough that I knew what he was talking about without seeing it. Progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment