Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Reflecting

I've been working on this post for several weeks. As I think of new things I want to post that don't quite fit into my daily posts, I add them here.

When we first started down this journey, arranging for therapy and determining Mr N's needs they asked "What would you like to see changed?"

How, as a parent, do you answer that? What would I change about Mr N? The only thing I could think of is his language, I want him to be able to communicate, he doesn't even need to be a chatterbox, I just need him to communicate his needs, wants, desires, tell me what's bugging him, tell me what would make him feel better. I don't want to change anything about my little guy, I love him and wouldn't change a thing. I just want him to not suffer. I love his cuddles, I don't mind that he's shy, none of his quirks bother me. He is the sweetest, most lovable little boy I've ever known, what could I change?

During the initial evaluation process we were asked so many questions about Mr N, to many of them I didn't know the answer. Each time I said "I'm not sure" or "I don't know" I wondered what they must think of me, I am his mother, how do I not know these important questions that determine the diagnosis of my son?

I think back to when Mr N was first born, I was on medication to control the pain from the c-section, I was so out of it. I don't really remember his first few weeks. I remember months later asking my husband if I was a good mommy to him and if I loved him. The reply almost killed me, he said "you didn't really like him". Tears. How couldn't I like this amazing, lovable child? How was I not interested in his every coo, his every smile, his every cuddle? Months later I was diagnosed with PPD, I wish I had gotten help sooner. I still sometimes wonder if I'd been a better mother, more attentive, more loving, and more patient if we wouldn't be where we are today.

I am sure my situation made PPD more likely, I hated where we lived, we had no friends or family near. Honestly, I'm surprised I wasn't horribly depressed the entire two years we lived there. While we still don't have any family near, we are now in a beautiful area, I love where we live, I actually have friends. It's a weird feeling finally making a new friend after not having any in such a long time. It's amazing how much of a difference having friends makes. I'm very grateful for my new friends.

After we received Mr N's diagnosis I was a mess for such a long time. I just didn't know how I was going to handle everything. I was so overwhelmed and felt so under qualified to provide what he needed. At a recent meeting the talk was on hope and how much of an impact hope can make on your life. Hope can change your entire outlook, hope changes everything. Once I started reading Overcoming Autism  I finally had hope. My outlook changed, I still worry, I still stress, I still have fear, but I have hope. I now know that Mr N can recover with minimal residual symptoms, I know that there is a chance that he'll lead a very successful life. Hope is such a precious thing, and I hold onto this hope every single day when I look into his beautiful eyes.


2 comments:

  1. You made me think of a quote I've always liked.

    We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah! Do not blame yourself. It was not your fault and beyond your control. He is an amazing little boy because of all you do for him. And good genes :) I luv you

    ReplyDelete